Ferguson Lane Development 1934
Chapel Terrace Compulsary Purchase Order 1934
Chapel Terrace, 1935
The 1930s saw a further big growth of council housing locally, with the building of the Scotswood and Fergusons Lane estates.
The push to provide council housing had continued through the interwar years, but the vision of building homes for heroes faded and was replaced by a focus on building more homes for less money. The new estates in Scotswood were built under a less generous government funding scheme governed by lower quality standards. They were meant primarily as a replacement for the slums demolished as a result of city centre clearance programmes.
These interwar years saw the development of tenants associations on the local council estates as residents got together to push for repairs, environmental improvements and community facilities. Residents on Pendower finally got their own community hall in the 1930s, purpose-built on the recreation ground in the middle of the estate. Here they ran a full programme of social activities for all ages.
Throughout these years, the local economy remained depressed, and many families struggled to cope with poverty and unemployment. It took another war to revive the area’s fortunes once more.