Bridge Cresent, 1905
Chapel Terrace 1905
Canning Street School 1911
Benwell Lane, 1902
The first part of the 20th century was a time of growth for Benwell and Scotswood. Armstrong’s, which dominated employment locally, was booming and new homes were springing up across the area.
However the growing population needed more than just housing; Scotswood Road was a lively thoroughfare packed with pubs, shops and churches, and Adelaide Terrace had also developed into a busy shopping area. Hodgkin Park had opened in 1899 in West Benwell, and in 1908 the Carnegie Library opened in Atkinson Road.
Several new schools – including Canning Street, Atkinson Road and Denton Road – were also provided to meet the needs of the large numbers of children now living in the area.Local people also had their own organisations – the churches, trade unions, co-operative guilds and others – which were the backbone of social and community life in the area.